how determine last time given db changed in any way?

From: Joe Hudson <jlhudson(at)www(dot)dminfo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how determine last time given db changed in any way?
Date: 2003-03-05 01:05:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I was wondering (for the purposes of doing backups) how I can tell
the last time part of a db was changed, be it actual data being
inserted/updated/deleted or a table definition being changed, etc. Is
there one timestamp in a system table somewhere, or maybe one timestamp
per table or do I have to examine the file system?

Thanks.

Joe Hudson
Chief Something-or-Other