Re: location of the configuration files

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-13 21:44:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

scott.marlowe wrote:

>>These are not issues at all. You could put the configuration file
>>anywhere, just as you can for any UNIX service.
>>
>>postmaster --config=/home/myhome/mydb.conf
>>
>>I deal with a number of PG databases on a number of sites, and it is a
>>real pain in the ass to get to a PG box and hunt around for data
>>directory so as to be able to administer the system. What's really
>>annoying is when you have to find the data directory when someone else
>>set up the system.
>>

>Really? I would think it's easier to do this:
>
>su - pgsuper
>cd $PGDATA
>pwd
>
>Than to try to figure out what someone entered when they ran ./configure
>--config=...

Why do you think PGDATA would be set for root?

>>Configuring postgresql via a configuration file which specifies all the
>>data, i.e. data directory, name of other configuration files, etc. is
>>the right way to do it. Even if you have reasons against it, even if you
>>think it is a bad idea, a bad standard is almost always a better
>>solution than an arcane work of perfection.
>>

>Wrong, I strongly disagree with this sentament. Conformity to standards
>for simple conformity's sake is as wrong as sticking to the old way
>because it's what we're all comfy with.

It isn't conformity for conformitys sake. It is following an established
practice, like driving on the same side of the road or stopping at red
lights.

>>Personally, however, I think the configuration issue is a no-brainer and
>>I am amazed that people are balking. EVERY other service on a UNIX box
>>is configured in this way, why not do it this way in PostgreSQL? The
>>patch I submitted allowed the configuration to work as it currently
>>does, but allowed for the more standard configuration file methodology.
>>

>If I do a .tar.gz install of apache, I get /usr/local/apache/conf, which
>is not the standard way you're listing. If I install openldap from
>.tar.gz, I get a /usr/local/etc/openldap directory, close, but still not
>the same. The fact is, it's the packagers that put things into /etc and
>whatnot, and I can see the postgresql RPMs or debs or whatever having that
>as the default, but for custom built software, NOTHING that I know of
>builds from source and uses /etc without a switch to tell it to, just like
>postgresql can do now.

You are confusing the default location of a file with the ability to use
the file. The default I have proposed all along was to use the existing
practice of keeping everything in the $PGDATA directory.

The change I wish to make to the code allows this to be changed. Most
admins want configuration and data separate. Most admins do not want to
use symlinks because they are dangerous in a production environment.

I would rather have a simpler solution sooner than a perfect solution never.