Re: Lock timeout detection in postgres 7.3.1

From: Tomasz Myrta <jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net>
To: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, shariq77(at)yahoo(dot)com, lud_nowhere_man(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: Lock timeout detection in postgres 7.3.1
Date: 2003-02-07 10:29:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

Christoph Haller wrote:
<cut>
> Yupp, I agree.
> But from former DBMS I was dealing with,
> I know this SET TIMEOUT called feature, which if properly set
> terminated processes like that hanging on T2.
> Is there something comparable within Postgres?

PostgreSQL 7.3 Documentation
3.4. Run-time Configuration
STATEMENT_TIMEOUT (integer)
Aborts any statement that takes over the specified number of milliseconds. A value of zero turns off the timer.
DEADLOCK_TIMEOUT (integer)
This is the amount of time, in milliseconds, to wait on a lock before checking to see if there is a deadlock condition

In this case I suppose 2 things:
- table has a lot of records and you should just wait to finish operation.
- another query locked the table and it is realy a deadlock

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta