pgtcl combined with view with certain insert/update-rules => crash

From: Wolfgang Walter <wolfgang(dot)walter(at)studentenwerk(dot)mhn(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgtcl combined with view with certain insert/update-rules => crash
Date: 2003-01-24 14:03:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

since 7.3 we observe repeatable crashes of the backend under certain
conditions.

If pgtcl-function executes an INSERT-command via spi-exec on a view with
an INSERT-rule which actually does not do an insert but a SELECT instead
the backend crashes when the rule-execution finished.

This does not happen if you do the same INSERT via psql-tool or from
within a pgsql-function via EXECUTE.

The same is true for UPDATE-command/rule.

Executing an INSERT as last statement of a rules fixes the problem.

postgresql 7.2 works fine.

Example:

CREATE VIEW a AS
SELECT f FROM b;

CREATE RULE r AS ON INSERT TO a DO INSTEAD (
SELECT xyz(NEW.f);
);

xyz is any stored procedure (i.e. written in pgsql).

(though I don't think it is important that a stored procedured is called
at all via the select).

CREATE FUNCTION t () RETURNS VOID AS '
spi_exec "INSERT INTO a (f) VALUES (''5'')"
' LANGUAGE 'pltcl';

Then calling t from psql i.e. leads to a crash.

If you change the rule r to

CREATE RULE r AS ON INSERT TO a DO INSTEAD (
SELECT xyz(NEW.f);
INSERT INTO dummy (bla) VALUES ('abcdefg');
);

(and table dummy exists of course)

then t works fine.

--