descending indexes

From: Steve Owen <steve(at)keymarksystems(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: descending indexes
Date: 2003-01-11 16:34:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am attempting to port an application that makes extensive use of being
able to scroll forwards or backwards through a large database from a
given, user-defined point where the key is a CHAR(15) user-defined
field, arbitrarily & frequently inserted & deleted. Creating an index
on the field speeds up the scroll forwards, but I'm having to jump
through hoops to scroll backwards. I have searched and cannot find any
reference to a simple method to find the previous key using the index.
Any suggestions?

steve