Re: Dollar in identifiers

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dollar in identifiers
Date: 2003-01-09 22:12:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Tom Lane writes:
> >
> > > Quite awhile back, we had a discussion about removing "$" from the set
> > > of allowed characters in operator names, and instead allowing it as a
> > > non-first character in identifiers.
> >
> > I agree with the first one, but does it have to imply the second?
>
> I believe he wanted the second because Oracle supports it, and some
> Oracle apps use that feature. I think in the old days, before
> underscore, Oracle used $ for space (double yuck).

Dollar is not allowed as per SQL spec. And I think Oracle discouraged
people from using it, but used it in their own stuff. Good way to avoid
any possible conflicts and I would've liked our version of it to be pg$
instead of pg_ ... I think that's a bit too much to ask for, is it?

The problem is, discouraged or not, if there's a slot people will stick
something into ... meaning if it accepts a dollar, to hell with vendor
recommendations!

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #