Re: Query for filtering records

From: Jean-Luc Lachance <jllachan(at)nsd(dot)ca>
To: eric soroos <eric-psql(at)soroos(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query for filtering records
Date: 2002-12-03 19:53:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

Eric try:

select num, p1,p2 ... from contacts
inner join groups using (contacts.num=groups.contactNum)
where groups.groupNum=a
and contact.p3=b
and not exists (
select 1 from groups g2
where g2.contactNum = groups.contactNum and
g2.groupNum != a);

or

select num, p1,p2 ... from contacts
inner join groups using (contacts.num=groups.contactNum)
where groups.groupNum=a
and contact.p3=b
and groups.groupNum in (
select contactNum from groups group by contactNum having count(*) =
1);

The IN version may still be faster as the sub-select should be evaluated
only once;

JLL