Old "Feature" - Copy table ignores column defaults

From: Tim Perdue <tim(at)perdue(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Old "Feature" - Copy table ignores column defaults
Date: 2002-11-14 01:42:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

I see there are a handful of reports of this, but it does seem broken to
me. If I am copying a table and a column is blank, surely it makes sense
to substitute the column default from the table? Right now, it is
substituting 0 for a null column, instead of -99 as I wished, and here I
was complaining that it was the national weather service's bug.

Re: [HACKERS] Bug or feature? COPY ignores column defaults
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/1999-01/msg00667.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/1999-01/msg00650.php

Alas, I will have to run perl regex on this awful weather data to make
it work right.

Tim