Re: Win32 port

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Win32 port
Date: 2002-11-06 17:29:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Jan Wieck writes:
>
> > To Hannu: the Windows port we did here depends on MS VC++ features like
> > the ability to specify in the project to substitute header files. I
> > don't know much about MingW and if you can do things like that with it.
>
> Before long someone will port the Windows port to MinGW, so we should
> resist attempts to use compiler-specific features in the same way that we
> tend not to use vendors specific features in other ports.

Absolutely. With the present push by over 30 governments of countries,
and other large institutions around the world for adopting Open Source
software in significant ways, we'd be kind of short-sighted to do things
in a way that mostly limits people to using M$ products.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift