Re: PREPARE / EXECUTE

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PREPARE / EXECUTE
Date: 2002-10-23 18:09:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Copeland wrote:

>Could you use some form of connection proxy where the proxy is actually
>keeping persistent connections but your application is making transient
>connections to the proxy? I believe this would result in the desired
>performance boost and behavior.
>
>Now, the next obvious question...anyone know of any proxy apps available
>for postgresql?
>
>Regards,
>
> Greg

There is one load balancing software available which is based on the ACE
library.
Just have a look at:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/dbbalancer/

I haven't tested it up to now.

I am now looking for a workaround - I am sure that there are many
workarounds for this issue (explicit joins, persistent connections, etc.
...).
I thought it might be useful to have something like a data type (or
maybe a binary field) used to store execution plans.

People could use this feature as some sort of "server side" function or
so ...
It can be seend as some sort of optimized function in the backend which
can be loaded/executed more efficiently.

Maybe others would like to see that feature as well.

Hans

--
*Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig*
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria