Re: Slow performance on MAX(primary_key)

From: Keith Gray <keith(at)heart(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Slow performance on MAX(primary_key)
Date: 2002-10-17 00:46:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Richard Huxton wrote:

>>> As of now, Max() doesn't utilizes the indices hence
>>>it always do a sequential scan.

>>Is this likely to be sorted in 7.2 ?
>>Is anyone looking at this?

> As I understand, the problem is that the optimisation only applies for simple
> cases...

Getting MIN() adn MAX() seems fairly trivial to me.

When is on an index or more importantly Primary
Key it must be a common SQL.

Would it be possible in the code to look at
the field in MIN() or MAX() and if it is
indexed use a similar method to the suggested
SQL work around?

Can I help this to happen?

--

Keith Gray