Re: droped out precise time calculations in src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Denis A Ustimenko <denis(at)oldham(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: droped out precise time calculations in src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c
Date: 2002-10-16 05:35:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Yes, the new code has _three_ time() calls, rather than the old code
> that I think only had two. I was going to mention it but I figured
> time() was a pretty light system call, sort of like getpid().
>
> I needed the additional time() calls so the computation of remaining
> time was more accurate, i.e. we are not resetting the timer on a
> select() EINTR anymore.
>
> Should I try to rework it?

I tried two more runs of 10000, and the average is pretty steady at 0.0087.
However the total range is a fair bit wider than I originally reported.

I added a forth time() call to see what the effect would be. It increased the
average to 0.0089 (two runs of 10000 connects each), so I don't think the
time() call explains the entire difference.

Not sure this is worth worrying about or not. I'd guess anyone serious about
keeping connect time to a minimum uses some kind of connection pool or
persistent connection anyway.

Joe