Re: Transactions through dblink_exec()

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: Masaru Sugawara <rk73(at)sea(dot)plala(dot)or(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transactions through dblink_exec()
Date: 2002-10-13 06:44:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mike Mascari wrote:
> How can dblink() possibly be used safely for non-readonly transactions
> without a full implementation of a two-phase commit protocol? What
> happens when the remote server issues the COMMIT and then the local
> server crashes?

It can't be used safely if you're trying to ensure a distributed transaction
either fails or commits. At least I can't think of a way without two-phase
commits implemented.

But depending on your scenario, just being sure that the remote transaction
fails or succeeds as a unit may be all you care about.

Joe