Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks
Date: 2002-08-05 23:08:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, in fact it's not just a question of disk space.
>
> The following numbers are stats for total elapsed time of "make
> installcheck" over ten trials:

<snip>
> I'm not sure about the trend of increasing standard deviation --- that
> may reflect more disk I/O being done, and perhaps more checkpoints
> occurring during the test. But in any case it's clear that there's a
> nontrivial runtime cost here. Does a 10% slowdown bother you?

Hmmm -- didn't Neil do some kind of test that had different results,
i.e. not much performance difference? I wonder if the large number of
DDL commands in installcheck doesn't skew the results against longer
NAMEDATALEN compared to other benchmarks?

# pwd
/opt/src/pgsql/src/test/regress/sql
# grep -i 'CREATE\|DROP' * | wc -l
1114