Completed Compression front end

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Completed Compression front end
Date: 2002-08-03 17:38:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

We have successfully completed the rewrite of the connection functions
(frontend and backend) to enable compression. After testing (which I
will provide numbers soon) we have found that compression is quite
usable and increases performnce for most connections. In fact unless you
are running on a 10Mb or higher it will probably help you. We still
need to run some tests on connections that are above 384k but it is
looking quite good.

We did not break compatibility and compression is a dynamic option
that can be used in the connection string.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.