Re: huge performance penalty from constraint triggers

From: Ben Liblit <liblit(at)eecs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Subject: Re: huge performance penalty from constraint triggers
Date: 2002-08-02 08:08:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Stephan Szabo wrote:
> Sites has site as a bigint while samples has it as an int.

Stephan, you're my hero. Changing those columns to match (with bigint)
lets me insert my data in one minute, twelve seconds with indexes and
constraint triggers active. That's slower than the twenty one seconds
it takes with neither indexes nor triggers, but I'm willing to pay that
price for referential integrity. It's certainly an improvement over
nineteen hours!

Thanks again, Stephan. You've saved the day.