Re: Linux max on shared buffers?

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, GB Clark <postgres(at)vsservices(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux max on shared buffers?
Date: 2002-07-23 11:52:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> > I have some more wrinkles to iron out as well. We can hold blocks of
> > hundreds of different files in our buffer cache without the need to keep
> > an open file descriptor...
>
> As you can with mmap as well. The mapping remains after the file
> descriptor is closed.

No resource limit on that? So my 200 backends all map some random
16,000 blocks from 400 files and the kernel jiggles with it like
it's never did anything else?

Jan

# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being
right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive
me. #
JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com #