Sequence name length

From: Rudi Starcevic <rudi(at)oasis(dot)net(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sequence name length
Date: 2002-07-17 02:38:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

Just a quick one on the length of the name of a sequence.

I have some table with long(ish) names like : eselect_maincategory
The primary key is named : maincat_id

When I create the table the sequence sql looks like
nextval('"eselect_maincategory_maincat_id_seq"'::text)

However the sequence created is named :
eselect_maincategory_maincat_id ( the '_seq' is lopped off )

This looke like a max of 31 characters.

Is a sequence name length limited to 31 characters or is it the tool I'm
using - phpPgAdmin, I wonder ?

Your time and thoughts are very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Rudi Starcevic.