Re: size of function body

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Ralph Graulich <maillist(at)shauny(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: size of function body
Date: 2002-07-16 23:33:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Ralph Graulich wrote:
> Given the fact that I have very little knowledge of C, I better stick to
> SQL in which I have so-to-say ten years experience more than in C. :-)
>
> On the other hand, I'd love to try coding at least one of the functions in
> C, if I can count on assistance or some easy example. Maybe I get to love
> it that way and this encourages me learning more of C.
>
> Maybe you can point me to some good examples? Thanks alot.

Sure, look in the contrib directory in your source tree. There are lots
of examples there, for example look at contrib/fuzzystrmatch. Also see:
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?xfunc-c.html

My main point was that if all of your I/O is going through the
functions, and the functions themselves are large and complex, you may
get a significant overall performance boost by using C functions instead.

Good luck!

Joe