COPY x FROM STDIN escape handlers

From: Marc Lavergne <mlavergne-pub(at)richlava(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: COPY x FROM STDIN escape handlers
Date: 2002-07-15 16:18:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just to give a little background, using pgdump in "default" mode creates
a dump file that includes inline newlines and tabs. The solution is to
use the -Fc option but it's a little late for that if all one has is a
"default" dump file. I was hoping to simply run a conversion on the file
to create an "escaped" version of the file, but none of the traditional
escape methods appear to work (ie. \n, \010, 0x10, etc).

The code errors out in CopyReadNewline() but it's the result of a call
from CopyFrom(). From what I can see, there is no escape handler in the
CopyFrom function. So, should this be considered an enhancement or is
there an underlying reason why it isn't there? If it's an enhancement,
I'll patch it and submit it but I *really* don't want to end up with a
non-standard version of PostgreSQL!

Thanks in advance!

Marc L.