inheritance problems

From: Matt <matthew(dot)berardi(at)weilpublishing(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: inheritance problems
Date: 2002-06-11 16:19:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a very general table, Orders, from which three other tables are
children. Orders has only two columns cid, oid, have primary key(oid,
cid). I want all the children to also have this primary key, and I want
uniqness of the primary key enforced accross all children. this was the
reason I decided to use inheritance, however I can insert the same entry
in two children and then look at the duplicates in the Orders :( is it
possible, and if so, how is it done; to have unique primary keys accross
all the children.

Matthew Berardi
WeilPublishing