Re: Violation of NOT NULL

From: Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)mmrd(dot)com>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: "Wm(dot) G(dot) Urquhart" <wgu(at)wurquhart(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL General Forum <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Violation of NOT NULL
Date: 2002-05-23 18:16:53
Lists: pgsql-general

>>With that said if '' does != NULL then what does? Just NULL? In my book
>>NULL means undefined and IMHO you can't get more undefined than ''!

To me, '' is very defined. You're explicitly telling something to be
set to the empty string. It has a definite value - "empty string".
NULL implies that you have no information whatsoever to determine what
the value is.

That's just me. I was always bothered that Oracle did consider empty
strings to be NULLs. =)

-Fran