Re: Postgresql goes into recovery mode ....

From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: Jean-Luc Lachance <jllachan(at)nsd(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Postgresql goes into recovery mode ....
Date: 2002-04-11 06:34:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

jeff i feel the second subselect is required becoz *without* the where
clause the
query:

UPDATE email_bank set userid=(select userid from t_a where
email_id=email_bank.email_id)

would have updated *all* records in email_bank (1 million) where as
i want to update only 35 K in those which are in t_a so "exists" is reqd.

i also feel UPDATE .. FROM is better Sql for this purpose which
can be written as:

update email_bank set userid=t_a.userid from t_a
where t_a.email_id = email_bank.email_id ;

the above also puts my SQL in abnormnal state.

Yes Jean UPDATE .. FROM works in 7.1.3.

acutally what i want to know is even if my SQL were wrong
what is the way out from the recovery mode? and less importantly
is my SQL really wrong?

regds
mallah.