Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?

From: Vincent Stoessel <vincent(at)xaymaca(dot)com>
To: Marshall Spight <marshall(at)meetstheeye(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?
Date: 2002-03-14 03:38:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Marshall Spight wrote:
> "Richard Chrenko" <richard(at)solarenergy(dot)ch> wrote in message news:3C8EF7D7(dot)1003ECC3(at)solarenergy(dot)ch(dot)(dot)(dot)
>
>>MySQL looks like it's free until you want to bundle it with a commercial
>>application, at which time license fees are required. What is the
>>situation with PostgreSQL?
>

> That's not why you want to avoid MySQL. You want to avoid MySQL
> because it's underpowered. No transactions, no foreign keys, no subselects,
> etc. etc.

Why is there so much mysql bashing?
I like postgresql too but I don't have to put down mysql
to justify using it.
Mysql is a simple, fast database that is quite solid from my experience.
It is usually my first choice as a web backend for php/jsp based websites.

I usually use postgresql on system based projects (usually in perl )
where I really need to use foreign keys and tranactions and the
loss of data would be a very expensive thing.

The current version of mysql does have foreign keys and transactions
available via the new innodb table type. I have not used it production
yet, but I am testing them.

--
Vincent Stoessel vincent(at)xaymaca(dot)com
Linux and Java Application Developer