Redesigning postgresql.org

From: Gevik Babakhani <gevik(at)postgresql(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Redesigning postgresql.org
Date: 2015-02-03 09:36:31
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi all,

At FOSDEM we had a discussion regarding redesigning postgresql.org to make it modern and responsive. I might have had one drink too many (water that is) and I kind of volunteered to give a shot at it. The following items we discussed briefly:

[1] Color and theme of the website should remain largely the same blue(ish)
[2] JavaScript can be used but the website must work 100% should someone have JavaScript disabled. This one is particularly hard since many “nice” things in web development, like client side validation and such rely on JavaScript.
[3] The website should be responsive, and adaptive when needed (for this one we need JavaScript for sure)
[4] We discussed the possibility of a CMS functionality briefly.
[5] We discussed the usage of web-fonts and supporting Internet Explorer as of version 9
[6] We did not discuss the backend!!

In the following weeks I want to setup a local copy of the website and start gathering a better picture of what actually needs to be done and the amount of work it is involved.

Any thoughts?

Gevik Babakhani
github: https://github.com/blendsdk <https://github.com/blendsdk>
twitter: @gevik, @blendjs