Re: JDBC split and move ...

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net
Cc: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Marc G(dot) Fournier'" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, ryan(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC split and move ...
Date: 2002-02-11 04:30:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Cramer wrote:

> I have to agree with Tom here, I don't see anything wrong with the way
> things are now, except that we would like to release more often.
>
> I would vote for a separate release schedule

We could have a more frequent release cycle today for jdbc if we wanted.
There is nothing preventing us from creating a branch for a jdbc
release to be done between 7.2 and 7.3. But as I have stated in a
previous mail note, there are generally dependences between jdbc and the
backend that will likely require at a minimum a new jdbc release for
each backend release.

Also what happens when we get to the point where we have a java
procedural language in the server? Then the line that appears very
clear between backend and jdbc code gets very blurred. (fyi, this is
something that I know two different people are working on and might get
done in the 7.3 timeframe).

thanks,
--Barry