Re: temporary views

From: Tomasz Myrta <jasiek(at)lamer(dot)pl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: temporary views
Date: 2001-10-08 08:37:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We can handle the temp views thing two ways, either allow views to map
> to temp tables by name, or allow temp views to map to temp tables that
> exist at creation time and drop the views on session exit. The original
> poster clearly wanted the first behavior, but I agree with Peter that
> the second has fewer surprises for the user and is more standard.
I think, that referring tables by names would be enough. I found another
problem connected to this. There is something like this in documetation:
"Existing permanent tables with the same name are not visible
(in this session) while the temporary table exists." Why not to overlap
permanent table? Currently it doesn't work:

create table x (a integer);
create view y as select * from x;
select * from y;
OK
create temp table x as select * from x;
select * from y;
ERROR: Relation "x" with OID 364752 no longer exists

> I have updated the TODO item to:
>
> * Allow temporary views
Nice to hear it.

> It would be interesting of plpgsql could try for an table match by oid
> first, and if that fails, try a match by table name and match only if a
> temp table is hit. So basically the only table-name matching that would
> happen would be hits on temp tables.
But why only plpgsql? Would it be difficult to add it to SQL
implementation
of PostgreSQL?

Tomek