Re: Is it possible to work with big databases (up to 10Gb) under Postgres?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Ivan Babikov <iab(at)qms(dot)e-burg(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to work with big databases (up to 10Gb) under Postgres?
Date: 2001-08-20 18:19:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Ivan,

I was running a database with ~27GB of info (admittedly in large, very
simple tables) on PostgreSQL 7.0.3 a while ago for a few months.

Didn't have any real problems with it, apart from having to accept that
a lot of data takes time to process. :-/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Ivan Babikov wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> Maybe this is one of those typical questions, but I have heard people
> complaining that Postgres is just for quite small bases, less than 2Gb.
>
> Now, we have to choose a free database engine for an inexpensive branch of
> our project and Interbase looks better in sense of capability to work with
> quite big bases (up to 10-20Gb). I am not sure that Postgres will work fine
> with databases greater than 10Gb. What does All think of it?
>
> Thanks in advance, Ivan Babikoff.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

- Indira Gandhi