Re: tables in tables

From: Allan Engelhardt <allane(at)cybaea(dot)com>
To: Fernando Benites <fbenites(at)TechFak(dot)Uni-Bielefeld(dot)DE>
Subject: Re: tables in tables
Date: 2001-08-06 20:38:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Fernando Benites wrote:

> I want to create a table in a table, that means, if i have a row, in that row are many columns, where one column is a table (with should we say 20 rows)
> it is important that the table in the table hsa 20 rows, and new inserting would be the first row in this table, and tha last one would be deleted.
> and with each new row of the mother table, it would be create a new child table for this new row.
> How can i do that?

The closest is probably to use arrays in PostgreSQL. See file:///usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.1.2/html/arrays.html or similar location on your system.

Plain SQL doesn't support tables as data types.

Often, there is a better way to model the data; one which does not require nested tables.

If not, consider an object oriented database....

Allan.