Re: encrypting a password field in the database

From: Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)mmrd(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: encrypting a password field in the database
Date: 2001-08-03 14:22:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Stephen Robert Norris wrote:

> In general it is extremely poor security if _anyone_ is able to
> decrypt the password. So, use a hash function instead - SHA1 is nice.

No, I actually really do need two-way encryption. The passwords will later
be used to do automated remote logins, so I'll need the plaintext back at
some point. I'm aware of the security ramifications; we have other means of
securing the situation. Is there any built-in two way encryption in Pg?
I imagine this is a fairly common problem for businesses that want to store
customer credit card information for recurring payments or something similar.

Thanks,
Fran