Re: BUG #18604: Regression in PostgreSQL 16.4: pg_dump Prevents Essential System Table Modifications

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: basha(at)maxcontact(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL Bug List <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18604: Regression in PostgreSQL 16.4: pg_dump Prevents Essential System Table Modifications
Date: 2024-09-06 19:38:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Sep 6, 2024, at 09:28, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> In PostgreSQL 16.4, the recent security enhancement introduced by the commit
> "Prevent unauthorized code execution during pg_dump (Masahiko Sawada)" has
> introduced unintended side effects that severely impact multi-tenant
> database environments. Specifically, this change blocks modifications to
> system tables, even when allow_system_table_mods is explicitly enabled.

As Tom noted, you should describe what system catalog modifications you are making.

It should be noted that this admonition appears as the first sentence in the documentation on the page that includes `allow_system_table_mods`:

The following parameters are intended for developer testing, and should never be used on a production database.

"We adjusted a developer-only parameter on a production database, having been warned by the documentation not to, and now something that previously worked no longer does" is not really going to be considered a bug. It's better that a way is found to support your requirements without modifying system catalogs.