Help on WAL needed!

From: Namrata <nlabade(at)nulinkinc(dot)com>
To: postgres <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Help on WAL needed!
Date: 2001-06-18 11:50:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I want to know about the WAL. How it is used in postgreSQL and how it is implemented and how data is recovered using WAL?

Is there any provision for fault tolerance provided in postgreSQL?

Is there any versioning of data provided in postgreSQL when we alter the table contentes ( say If I add new column to the table and after some time if
I don't want new column. I want my previous table contents. Can I get it using the versioning of the data? )

Thanks in advance.
Namrata.