Re: SET variables

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET variables
Date: 2001-05-13 16:45:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Don Baccus wrote:

> The interesting thing to me doesn't simply lie in the debate over this or that feature.
> The interesting thing to me is that more and more requests to ease porting from Oracle
> to Postgres are cropping up.
>
> This says that more and more people from the "real" RDBMS world are starting to take
> Postgres seriously.

Speaking for myself, I think Larry has enough money. The costs of Oracle are
astounding. As I see it, I think Postgres could be the "single server" answer
to the sky high per processor licensing that Oracle has.

A Postgres with enough Oracle-isms would be a world beater. As it is, when I
show Oracle people what Postgres can do, they are blown away. They love the
fact that temporary tables are in an isolated name space, sequences are more
flexible, and a lot of the other neat features.

If we could do:
select * from database.table.field where database.table.field =
localtable.field;
select * from table where field = :var;

and not have to vacuum

Postgres would be incredible. As it is, it is a great database. If it could
have features which make Oracle people comfortable it would be a very serious
alternative to Oracle. Companies like Greatbridge and PostgreSQL inc. would
have a much easier sell.

--
42 was the answer, 49 was too soon.