Re: Log file to sql database

From: KuroiNeko <evpopkov(at)carrier(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Log file to sql database
Date: 2001-04-03 04:11:07
Lists: pgsql-general

> Also, if your pipe reader slows down too much, syslogd will start
> blocking on the pipe

Indeed.

> So I think it'd be much safer to
> have a flat text logfile and have your program read from that

Or send the data to DB backend only when the logs are rotated. As long
as the logs are kept short, grep'ing should be enough.

> As for the interpreter issue, well, I'd rather spend the memory and
> use a language that is designed for string-slinging.

Depends on revenue/RAM price ratio :)

> Using Perl or
> Python to parse things is *so* much easier than C (even with a good
> regex library available).

Well, regex is simple, just 4 functions. It doesn't do replacements but
that's not what one needs in this case. But this is off-topic, anyway.