Re: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allowing WAL fsync to be done via O_SYNC
Date: 2001-03-15 23:50:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, that's exactly *why* we need an overridable default. Or would you
> like to try to do some performance measurements in configure?

At this point I'm more comfortable with a compile-time option
(determined statically or in a configure compilation test, not a
performance test), rather than a GUC variable. But imho 7.1 will be nice
with either choice, and if you think that a variable will make it easier
for developers to do tuning from a distance (as opposed to having it
just confuse new users) then... ;)

- Thomas