Re: cannot get CREATE TABLE AS to work

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Creager, Robert S" <CreagRS(at)LOUISVILLE(dot)STORTEK(dot)COM>, sqllist <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cannot get CREATE TABLE AS to work
Date: 2001-03-09 17:09:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

Robert,

> Thanks for the pointers. I'm actually working on modifying the structure of
> an existing db, so this is all within Pg. Those INSERT INTOs with SELECTs
> are painfully slow, and I have an larger table to do this to... I guess
> Perl will have to rescue me...

Why don't you post your SQL statements, table definitions, and estimate
results? I'm sure one or more of the performance experts (Tom Stephan)
could find some improvements. It doesn't makes sense that CREATE TABLE
AS should be faster than INSERT INTO ... SELECT. It should be *slower*
unless you have 2 dozen indexes on the target table.

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533