Complete row is fetched ?

From: "Satish Burnwal (sburnwal)" <sburnwal(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Complete row is fetched ?
Date: 2010-04-16 06:05:02
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a ques - say I have a table that has 10 columns. But in a simple
select query from that table, I use just 3 columns. I want to know
whether even for fetching 3 columns, read happens for all the 10 columns
and out of that the required 3 columns are returned ? ie Does the
complete row with all the 10 columns are fetched even though I need just
3 columns ? OR only 3 columns are fetched ?

Satish