Full text search question (select...match...against).

From: Alberto Otero García <alberto(at)cometatech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Full text search question (select...match...against).
Date: 2001-02-01 17:15:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello everybody,

We are trying to migrate an application from MySQL to PostgreSQL, and all
works fine except for a text based search we must do.

In MySQL we can run the next SQL sentence:

SELECT *, MATCH a,b AGAINST ('sample text') as x FROM t;

and it returns the a and b columns and a x column with a number that means
how much the text of the a and b columns meets the 'sample text' text.

Example (taken from the MySQL manual):

mysql> SELECT *,MATCH a,b AGAINST ('collections support') as x FROM t;
+------------------------------+-------------------------------+--------+
| a | b | x |
+------------------------------+-------------------------------+--------+
| MySQL has now support | for full-text search | 0.3834 |
| Full-text indexes | are called collections | 0.3834 |
| Only MyISAM tables | support collections | 0.7668 |
| Function MATCH ... AGAINST() | is used to do a search | 0 |
| Full-text search in MySQL | implements vector space model | 0 |

Does anyone know how to do this in PostgreSQL?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

--
Alberto Otero García e-mail: alberto(at)cometatech(dot)com
Cometa Technologies, S.L. URL: http://www.cometatech.com