Re: Troubles with performances

From: Guillaume Lémery <glemery(at)comclick(dot)com>
To: kientzle(at)acm(dot)org, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Troubles with performances
Date: 2001-01-22 08:38:31
Lists: pgsql-general

> A few quick thoughts:
> 200 simultaneous queries sounds like a lot
> to me, and suggests you might be CPU-bound.
Yes, in 'top' CPU usage is 99%...

> Here are the things you should try:
>
> 1) Put PostgreSQL on a separate server from your
> Web server/application logic. If you are CPU-bound,
> then this can greatly improve your throughput.
I don't really think my Web Server uses a lot of CPU, because my
application is written in a module .so and it does only queries to my
database.

> 2) After doing #1, watch the CPU load on both database
> and web server machines. If your web server is the
> bottleneck, try running multiple web servers.
I was wondering to have 2 web servers per database server, but if you
say that 200 simultaneous queries is a lot.. what about 400 ? :-(

> 3) After trying #1, if your database is the bottleneck
> and your data will all fit into RAM, try redesigning
> your web application to run entirely from memory.
> With this design, you would only do UPDATEs on each
> page; SELECTs would be done directly from data
> you've stored in memory. This dramatically reduces
> database traffic. However, it makes it hard to
> run multiple web servers and also creates problems if
> you have other applications updating the database.
I don't know how to put the data in memormy to increase performance...
What should I do ?

> This assumes, of course, that you've carefully studied
> and optimized the performance of your code. In my experience,
> application performance is usually the bottleneck, not
> the database. Each of the above strategies is appropriate
> in different circumstances.
Well, with all the performance problems, I tried to optimize my code
everywhere I could.
All I can do now is to change the way I pass the queries to the database...

Thank you for all the advices.

Guillaume