Re: RPMS for 7.1beta3 being uploaded.

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RPMS for 7.1beta3 being uploaded.
Date: 2001-01-15 21:21:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> > doing. This is a fix for the broken rpm setup found on Linux-PPC, as
> > found by Tom Lane. It would be marvelous if this would be expendable at
> > this juncture.

> It is. 7.1 builds cleanly on PPC without any CFLAGS hackery. I think
> we can even survive the -fsigned-char stupidity now ;-)

Oh, good. Makes it much cleaner. Care to test that theory? :-)

> >> I think the standard installed set of headers is sufficient.

> > Is it? It _wasn't_ sufficient for SPI development at 7.0. Have the
> > headers and the headers install been fixed to install _all_ necessary
> > development headers, SPI included?

> No, nothing's been done about that AFAIK. I'm not sure the RPMs should
> be taking it on themselves to solve the problem, however.

Just trying to make the postgresql-devel rpm complete, as per request.
Since the folk who build from source usually still have the source tree
around to do SPI development in, it's not as big of an issue for that
install.

Of course, if the consensus is that the RPM's simply track what the
source tarball does, then that can also be arranged. But, the precedent
of the RPMset fixing difficulties with the source install has already
been set with the upgrading procedure.

Arguments about why those wishing to do SPI development should install a
full source tree aside, I'm simply providing an RPM-specific requested
feature.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio