Re: FWD: bizarre behavior of 'time' data entry

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: bstewart(at)smyrnacable(dot)net
Cc: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FWD: bizarre behavior of 'time' data entry
Date: 2001-01-13 15:34:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ps shows postgresql running:
> /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -p /usr/bin/postmaster start
> /usr/bin/postmaster -i
> I can poke a hole in my firewall and let you connect to the database if you
> would like troubleshoot my sytem. But I'll need some help setting up
> permissions to allow external connections. Let me know and I'll send my IP
> address to your private email.

I won't have time to do this in the next few weeks, since I'll be
traveling most of the time. You might find another volunteer from this
list, but if not I would suggest the following steps:

1) send us your default rpm compiler and build options. Use

rpm --showrc > tempfiletomail.txt
gcc --version >>&! tempfiletomail.txt

2) try building postgresql from sources. See if the problem persists (it
won't).

3) try building the postgresql rpm from sources. The steps are

a) rpm -ivv postgresql-xxx.src.rpm
b) cd /usr/src/RPM/SPEC (for Mandrake, RedHat uses /usr/src/RedHat...)
c) rpm -ba postgresql.spec (verify the spec file name)
d) cd /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/ixxx
e) rpm -Uvh --force postgresql*.ixxx.rpm

I'm doing these steps from memory, and you had better save your database
contents somewhere just in case it gets trashed ;)

> Also, let me know what particular build problems might cause this, and I'll
> post to Trustix mail list.

Not sure, since I've never seen this before for this data type :(

- Thomas