Re: feature request and scripting question

From: KuroiNeko <evpopkov(at)carrier(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: feature request and scripting question
Date: 2000-11-08 06:20:08
Lists: pgsql-general

> Has anyone considered enabling truly globally unique identifiers (outside
of the data tree)? This could be done by concatenating the MAC Address(or
decimal equivalent) of Eth0 to generated OID's.

MAC Ethernet addresses aren't guranteed to be unique. On the other hand,
what if a host has no Ethernet NICs? More than one?

> I can do this myself by adding a MAC field, and changing the MAC from hex
to DWORD or something for storage and access

DWORD for Ethernet MAC address? Beg your pardon?

> It would streamline this functionality a great deal for those of us with
partitioned tables or server farm situations.

Visit one of InterBase/IBPhoenix/whatever-their-name-now-is sites and try
finding papers on primary keys in distributed environments. Usefull to
study and follow.

--

Sniper's rifle is an extension of his eye. He kills with his injurious vision.

JM