autostart postgresql

From: Bob Hartung <rwhart(at)netexpress(dot)net>
To: PostGresql List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: autostart postgresql
Date: 2000-10-16 03:00:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Partial success!
I have postgresql started and have "createdb testdb"
successfully. I am having trouble with autostarting
postmaster in RH6.2 however.

I have copied the file
"/usr/local/postgresql-7.0.2.......postgres-init" to
/etc/rc.d/init.d and made a softe link to it from .../rc5.d
as follows ln /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres.init
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S98postgres.init

postmaster does not autostart upon a reboot. Do I have to
use a start command or other paramater to tell postgres.init
to start the postmaster up? I am not good at reading and
deciphering these scripts but would like postgres to
autostart everytime the PC boots to runlevel 5.

Thanks for all the help from various members so far!

Bob Hartung