Typecast a user-defined type?

From: Mark Volpe <volpe(dot)mark(at)epamail(dot)epa(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Typecast a user-defined type?
Date: 2000-10-04 15:48:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I've created my own datatype for Postgres. I have found it necessary to be
able to convert it to text, so I could match it up with a text column in a
UNION. I figured Postgres would do this for me, but then, I'm naive. Can
someone give me a hint, or point me to the appropriate material on how to get
"value::text" to work with my new type?

Thanks,
Mark