pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly

From: Buddy Lee Haystack <haystack(at)email(dot)rentzone(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly
Date: 2000-09-19 21:40:12
Lists: pgsql-general

I have been using:

*RedHat Linux 6.1 [2.2.12-20] on Intel
*PostgreSQL 6.5.3-3 [your RPMs]
*Perl 5.00503
*Apache 1.3.9
*mod_perl 1.21
*DBI 1.13
*DBD-Pg-0.93

on 2 Intel systems without any problems for several months now, the production website is an SMP box & the development box is a old, single processor intel.

My development box works fine, but when I recently moved the exact same mod_perl scripts over to the production server I received the following error message:

"null: DBD::Pg::st execute failed: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly. This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or while processing the request.
[error] Couldn't execute statement: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly. This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or while processing the request.

NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend: The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory. I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your database system connection and exit. Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query."

I'm confused. Where do I need to start looking? The script is fine...

Thanks!

--
BLH
www.RentZone.org