RE: WTF is going on with PG_VERSION?

From: "Robert D(dot) Nelson" <RDNELSON(at)co(dot)centre(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Alexey V(dot)Borzov" <borz_off(at)rdw(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: WTF is going on with PG_VERSION?
Date: 2000-09-20 13:13:00
Lists: pgsql-general

>I'm wondering if you could be running out of kernel filetable slots,
>so that the open of PG_VERSION is failing with ENFILE. (This would be

An interesting slashdot thread (that's saying alot, since I despise the
place ;) yesterday mentioned putting cached stuff in RAM drives. Would that
alleviate the problem, if one could load just the PG_VERSION's in there, or
would it still need to allocate it when it was trying to read it? Don't
think it's a real solution, merely curious :)

Rob Nelson
rdnelson(at)co(dot)centre(dot)pa(dot)us