Re: Postgres RDS on AWS -- can anyone substantiate this?

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres RDS on AWS -- can anyone substantiate this?
Date: 2013-11-14 20:44:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Nov 14, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Michael Banck wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 13.11.2013, 11:26 -0800 schrieb Josh Berkus:
>> http://gigaom.com/2013/11/12/amazon-to-add-postgres-to-its-most-favored-database-list/
>>
>> However, GigaOm is the only source for this, so I'm not sure how real it
>> is; anyone know?
>
> Seems like it happened:
>
> http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2013/11/amazon-rds-for-postgresql-now-available.html
>
> (Thanks to Patryk for pointing it out).
>
> Also, it's already live here: https://aws.amazon.com/rds/
>
> Yay.

The overall press coverage is very good - PostgreSQL is being mentioned in everything from trade publications to financial reporting. Some examples:

http://www.zdnet.com/amazon-cto-calls-out-old-guard-again-intros-rds-for-postgresql-7000022943/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2063740/amazon-offers-postgresql-from-the-cloud.html
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2013/11/14/amazon-gains-on-kinesis-rds-launch-data-choppy-on-news/
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/14/postgressql-now-available-on-amazons-relational-database-service/

Of course, my favorite line comes from Amazon's announcement itself:

"Over the past few years, PostgreSQL has become the preferred open source relational database for many enterprise developers and start-ups, powering leading geospatial and mobile applications."

Jonathan