Re: Can't change tcp_keepalives_idle

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Abraham, Danny" <danny_abraham(at)bmc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't change tcp_keepalives_idle
Date: 2024-08-04 15:43:18
Lists: pgsql-general

"Abraham, Danny" <danny_abraham(at)bmc(dot)com> writes:
> Change tcp_keepalives_idle in postgresql.conf from 0 to 300 , then pg_ctl reload but it stays with the old 0 value.
> Tried restart and it did not work. PG Log says it was changed.

tcp_keepalives_idle isn't implemented on all platforms. But I'd
expect to see a LOG message in the postmaster log about that, either
something about "setsockopt failed" or "WSAIoctl failed" or "setting
the keepalive idle time is not supported".

Also, if you inquire the value on a non-TCP connection, you'll
get zero because it's not relevant.