postgres and cache

From: Merrill Oveson <merrill(at)actarg(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres and cache
Date: 2000-08-10 23:48:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings:

Upgraded server from a Dual PII-400 to a Dual PIII-750 with Mylex
RAID-5. We didn't really see an increase of speed, or at least not what
we expected.

In our quest for speed we put the data onto a RAM drive and the
queries completed in a third the time. I wouldn't expect to see this
type of speed gain from a RAM drive because the tables are small enough
to easily fit into cache. So my question is...Does Postgres force a
flush to disk while it's working on particular types of queries?

Thanks!

Merrill