Re: initlocation and createdb

From: Ed Loehr <eloehr(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Barnes <aardvark(at)ibm(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initlocation and createdb
Date: 2000-06-13 21:19:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Ed Loehr wrote:

> Barnes wrote:
> >
> > I'm having trouble setting up databases in a new location. In particular, I
> > do the following:
> >
> > [postgres(at)whopper pgdata]$ export PGDATA2=/home/pgdata
> > [postgres(at)whopper pgdata]$ initlocation PGDATA2
> > [postgres(at)whopper pgdata]$ createdb optodb -D 'PGDATA2'
> > ERROR: The database path 'PGDATA2' is invalid. This may be due to a
> > character that is not allowed or because the chosen path isn't permitted for
> > databases
> > createdb: database creation failed
> > [postgres(at)whopper pgdata]$
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? Is /home not permitted for databases? If so, why
> > not, and what is permitted?

Looking at the documentation, David is apparently following this one,
which seems wrong...

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/app-initlocation.htm

Seems like it should be updated to the following:

$ export PGDATA2=/opt/postgres/data
$ initlocation $PGDATA2
$ createdb testdb -D $PGDATA2

Regards,